Fleas inside of our home or business can be one of the most frustrating pests. Gaining control requires a lot of patience and persistence. A flea infestation can spread quickly, so it is critical to take action when you discover even just a small flea population. Fleas are a big problem in our service area of New Jersey and Pennsylvania.
Fleas are climate driven and during the warmer months when humidity peaks, so will flea activity. You can learn more about the flea activity for your area by using the Weather Channel’s Flea Activity Map. But keep in mind that fleas (in their various stages) can survive indoors during the cold weather months; therefore, be vigilant about checking for fleas. A monthly regimen for flea control is recommended. Consult your veterinarian for details on how to safely protect your pet.
Flea Control in New Jersey and Pennsylvania
We offer professional flea extermination throughout our service area. If you think you may have a flea problem, you should act quickly to prevent a full-blown infestation of your home. Fleas multiply quickly and can easily jump from host to host. The transition from a pet to a home to a major problem happens rapidly.
Flea control is a three-step process: home, lawn and pet. Use the tips below to help you prepare for the service visit and to successfully maintain a pest-free home after receiving the professional service of your pest management company.
Before RM Termite & Pest Control Flea Treatment:
- Observe where pets spend time, both inside and outside of the home.
- Take your pet(s) to a veterinarian to be checked and treated for fleas. To help avoid re-infestation, don’t let freshly treated pets back into your home or yard until it has been treated.
- Vacuum often your carpets, floors, rugs, drapes, upholstered furniture, mattresses and cushions. Use a vacuum with a disposable bag and dispose of it by incineration or by sealing in a plastic bag.
- Wash or dispose of all pet bedding.
- Clean or vacuum wood and tile floors with special attention to grooves, cracks and baseboards.
- Sweep porches, steps and decks.
- Cut the lawn and remove debris and clutter prior to yard treatment.
- All unwrapped food should be covered or placed in cabinets or in the refrigerator. Food preparation surfaces and utensils should be covered. Pick up pet bowls from inside as well as outside of the home.
- Be sure to remove all toys, decorative objects, pillows, and other items from the floor, including items stored under the bed or in closets, so that all areas of the floor can be treated.
- Cover fish tanks and remove birds and hamsters when the technician arrives.
- Make arrangements for everyone, including pets, to remain out of home and off the yard for approximately 4 hours after treatment. This will allow all areas to dry completely dry.
After RM Termite & Pest Flea Treatment
Once your home and yard have been professionally treated, a few additional steps are recommended:
- All occupants and animals should stay off treated surfaces until they are dry.
- Vacuum carpets every day for 10 days. Remove the vacuum bag outdoors and dispose of it properly. Do not be alarmed if you see adult fleas when you vacuum. These fleas were in the pupa and egg stages, which aren’t killed by the insecticide application. However, there is enough residual control to last up to 4 weeks. That is enough time to kill adults as they emerge and give sufficient control in most situations.
- Wash food preparation surfaces and utensils that might have come in contact with the insecticide.
- Do not allow flea-infested pets in your home. If this happens, the house may get re-infested and re-treatment will be necessary.
- Remember rodents, squirrels and other animals can carry fleas into your home. Check all screening of foundation vents around your home.
Why choose RM Termite & Pest Control?
We employ state-of-the art technologies to eliminate and manage your flea infestation. Our treatments provide a fast and efficient solution to your pest issue. Our service personnel conduct themselves with integrity and provide exceptional service. We will ensure your premises are pest-free, so you can return to business as usual. We serve most of New Jersey and parts of Pennsylvania, visit our Service Area for complete details.
Call us now on 888-249-6633 to arrange an inspection today.