Here in New Jersey, house mice may be one of the most common mammals – so it’s no surprise many homeowners are dealing with infestations at one time or another. During the fall Mice and Rodents begin to move indoors as the weather cools and they begin to search for food.
Here are 5 facts you need to know about mice:
1) Mice can eat – A LOT – they have big appetites. Mice eat between 15 and 20 times a day. Due to their frequent eating habits, they prefer to build their homes near food sources.
2) Mice are natural leapers…Not only can mice jump (some up to a foot in the air), but they are also excellent climbers and swimmers.
3) Mice have short lifespans. In the wild, mice usually only live for about five months, mostly because of predators such as cats, snakes and foxes.
4) Mice spread more germs than you know. Mice can spread diseases like Hantavirus and Salmonella, but are also known to carry as many as 200 human pathogens!
5) One mouse can turn into many mice…very fast! A female house mouse can give birth when they are only two months old, and they are able to have to up to a dozen babies every three weeks. If you spot a mouse in your home, it is safe to assume there are more or there will be soon.
It’s best to contact professionals like RM Termite and Pest Control before the infestation grows out of control.